|Get the Android App|
|Get the iOS App|
Plan to Eat is a DIY recipe organizer, meal planner, and shopping list. The quickest way to get started is by adding recipes to your account, so you can start making meal plans with recipes that work for you! Once you add recipes to your meal planning calendar, your shopping list will be generated for you.
Recipes you find online can quickly be added to your Plan to Eat account using the Share Extension Recipe Clipper! This extension allows you to save any recipe to your Recipe Book with the share button found in Safari, Chrome or Firefox.
Learn more about adding recipes with the App.
You can also add recipes manually using the Add Recipe button in the "My Recipes" section.
Course, Cuisine, Main Ingredient, and Tags
Change the Course, Cuisine, Main Ingredient or add Tags to your recipes! This can be done either from the import window, or from your recipe book.
- From the Recipe Book, tap a recipe to open it.
- Use the menu to select Edit Recipe.
- Scroll down past the directions to the Course, Cuisine, Main Ingredient, Tags section.
- Use the section menus to change these categories.
- Tap Save in the upper right to finish.
Learn more about adding Courses, Cuisines, Main Ingredients and Tags to your recipes.
Customize your recipe categories with Recipe Book Settings
Through Recipe Book Settings, you have the ability to add, rename, and remove your recipe categories and tags!
Learn more about customizing your recipe categories in the app.
Search your recipes
Use the search filters to narrow down your recipe search:
- Tap the Filters option to the right on the search box.
- Then use the pulldowns for: Course, Cuisine, Main Ingredient, Tag, Rating, Total Time, Times Planned, Has Photo, Title (alphabetical) and Recently Added.
- Tap Apply to automatically redirect to the Recipe Book with the new filters applied.
- The Recipe Book will them be reordered according to the chosen filters.
- To exit the search select Clear from the search header.
Select more than one filter to narrow down your recipe choices. With each added filter, you'll see your recipe choices become more specific to meet the search criteria.
Learn more about the filter and search options.
Plan your recipes
- Tap the menu on the recipe you would like to plan
- Select Add to Planner to bring up the meal planning calendar.
- Select the day and the mealtime, then tap Add.
You’ll see a note confirming when you planned the recipe.
Learn more about adding recipes to your Planner.
Recipe Serving Sizes
Each recipe has a serving size which can be scaled up or down depending on the size of your household. As you make adjustments, the quantity of ingredients will be scaled up or down accordingly. When you add this recipe to your planner, Plan to Eat will assume that you are cooking for that number of servings.
To scale a recipe:
- Open the recipe by tapping it
- Scroll to the Serves box
- Type in the new serving size
- Tap Save to save the change
Friends in the App
Accessing Friend's recipes:
- From your Recipe book, tap the My Recipes header.
- This will bring down a menu where you can navigate to the Friends section.
- You can search for Friends from the search bar at the top.
- Tap the Add Friends button to send a PTE friend invite to someone’s email address.
- By tapping on one of your Friend's usernames, you can view and search for recipes in their recipe book.
Learn more about the Friends feature.
From your Recipe book, tap the My Recipes header. This will bring down a menu where you can navigate to My Queue.
Learn more about the Queue.
Plan recipes, put them in your freezer, and the Freezer feature will keep track of the meals you have available.
- From your Recipe Book, tap on the My Recipes header and select Freezer
- Here you can view each Frozen meal and the number of frozen meals included with each recipe.
Learn more about Freezer Cooking in the app.
Plan recipes from the Planner
- Find the date you would like to plan a recipe and tap either on the date number or the meal section.
- Select Plan Recipe
- You'll be taken to the recipe book, where you can choose a recipe to plan.
- Tap Next in the upper right
- Select the mealtime
- Tap Add to finish planning the recipe.
To add multiple recipes to one day, tap on the date number to the left of the meal section.
Plan Notes or Ingredients
- Tap a date in the Planner
- Select Plan Note or Plan Ingredient
- Type in your Note/Ingredient
- Tap Next
- Select the mealtime to assign the Note/Ingredient
- Tap Add
Learn more about Notes and Ingredients on the meal planner.
Planner Serving Sizes
Once a recipe is on your planner, you can also scale it up or down by selecting the recipe and editing the planned servings. This will alter the quantities of the recipe for this one time on your planner only, but will not alter the original recipe.
To scale a recipe in the Planner:
- Tap the planned recipe to bring up the recipe options
- Select Edit Planned Servings
- Type in the new servings amount
- Tap Save to save the change
The Cooking View
- Tap a recipe to open it.
- Tap the large blue Start Cooking button.
- Tap the dot menu on a recipe card
- Select Cooking View
The Cooking View is an easy way to view your recipes while in the kitchen. The overview will list your instructions in a scrollable list, while the step-by-step instructions will show them one at a time. Simply scroll through the recipe as you are cooking and follow along with the instructions.
With your recipes on your planner your shopping list will be made for you automatically by selecting a range of dates that you would like to shop for. The ingredients from any planned recipe that falls within those dates will be added to your list. Items can be checked off of your list as you shop.
To ensure you are seeing the correct list of items, check the date range at the top of your list.
- Tap the Change link in the upper right.
- Select either a predefined date rage
- Or create a custom date range
- Tap Save to finish the process.
To create a custom date range on the app, you'll want to double tap the custom start date on the calendar and then only tap once on the end date you'd like to select.
Edit shopping list items
Tap the pencil icon to the right of an item to edit the details. The edit item screen will also show what recipe it’s in and the date of when it’s planned.
Organize your shopping list
Your shopping list can be customized to list any stores where you like to shop, and any categories within those stores. Press the menu at the top of your shopping list to customize your stores or categories.
Learn more about the Shopping List Settings.
Manually add items
Shopping list items can be manually added to your list by pressing the Add New Item button at the bottom of the shopping list. As you use Plan to Eat more and more, the store and category will be filled in for you based on the store and category you used the last time you purchased this item.
If you are adding multiple manual items to one store on your list, select the store that you are heading to and all subsequent list items will also be added to that store. This makes it easy to quickly add multiple items in one store or category.
The Staples List
The Staples List is the place to store items that you purchase frequently and want to remember, but will not show up in your shopping list because they aren’t ingredients in recipes.
Your Staples List is found by tapping the Shopping List header.
Learn more about the App Staples List.
Print your shopping list:
- From the Shop tab, tap on the menu.
- Tap the Print Shopping List option.
- You will be redirected to your browser with a print preview of your shopping list.
- Tap the Print button in the upper right to continue with printing from your device.
Learn more about printing or sharing your shopping list.
Your recipes, meal planner, and current shopping list are available on your app, even when you’re not connected to the internet! Making changes to those items while connected to the internet will save them on your phone and give you access to them regardless of where you are going.
Offline, you can add, edit and view your recipes, alter your meal plan, and manually add, edit and check items off of your shopping list without being connected to the internet. All of your changes will be synced and available on other devices as soon as you are connected to the internet again.
Checking items off your shopping list will work offline, but changing the date range of your shopping list requires an internet connection. Please remember to load your list before heading to the store if you know you will be without a connection.